Subject:
You have hit on the underlying question....

Barry Irby
For floor joists, I liked the glycol and the idea that it might combine with the borate for a sort of two part poison and as a penetrant. And, experience showed that it worked, was harmless to the occupants of the house and odorless.

For lumber I m going to make furniture out of, I am skeptical. I don't want the poisonous kind of glycol around me or my pets. And I have no idea what the effect is on the chemistry of woodworking. Does either the glycol or borate have an effect on gluing things? How about on the finish?

OTOH, I have the remnants of a pile of white oak and the sap wood has been chewed up pretty badly. I am concerned the bugs will move on to my other lumber even if it is less tasty.

I believe I will get some TimBor, the powdered version, and use that. My understanding is it leaves a white residue on the surface and does not penetrate far into the wood, but basically kills the insects on the way in or way out. I'm thinking the milling/stock prep part will eliminate it and it is relatively harmless to humans.

I appreciate any help on this.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081