Subject:
Re: hinge mortise - single or double?

Sgian Dubh
With a socket cut into both the stile of the door and into the furniture carcase you fit one leaf of the hinges into, for example, the door first, and then place the matching leaves into the hinge socket of the carcase and screw through at least one hole to start with, just to get the door at least partially installed. Then check the door swings okay, adjust sockets if required, and complete the installation. The sockets cut for each hinge act as a positive location for each leaf. So, with one leaf of each hinge fitted into the door stile, which can be done with the door away from the carcase, holding the door in place by inserting the other leaf (or leaves) into the carcase hinge sockets helps considerably, especially if working alone, in holding the door in the right position as the first screw for each hinge leaf is driven into the carcase side.

Without the hinge socket in both the door stile and the carcase side (i.e., double leaf thickness sinking into one or the other of the stile or carcase side) means more of a juggling act to correctly locate the second leaf into its correct position on a flat surface with nothing to register against.

And, as others have mentioned, the bottom edge of the socket for each hinge leaf provides additional positive resistance to downward sinking of the door in use over time.

I've never been a fan of double leaf thickness sinking of a hinge into either one or the other of the door stile or the carcase side, and perhaps I'm especially not fond of the technique when fitting a heavy architectural door to its door lining. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081