Subject:
OK, so I made two....

Barry Irby
Pick up a scrap of MDF and cut a somewhat random bowtie pattern in it. A little asymmetrical, but good enough to make a trial run.

In a scrap of oak I cut out the pocket using a 3/8" spiral bit and a 1/2" bushing. Then cut the bow tie out of a piece of walnut using a 1 1/4" bushing. Beveled the bottom edges with a chisel, slathered on some Titebond, pounded it home and clamped it. Came back and rant the piece through the planer, sanded it a bit and Bob's your uncle.

When I bought my Festool router at and estate sale I got a Lee Valley inlay set with it, except there is no 1/8" bit. Hmmm, I may have to order one.

I decided to try a different combination and used a 1/4" spiral bit with a 1/2" and 1" bushing. The 3/8" bit created a lot of sawdust and required some stopping and starting to clean up the sawdust and keep the pattern empty and clean. The 1/4" bit was too long and chattered and howled. Less sawdust, but the chatter or whip created a problem. The bowtie is loose, probably 1/100" all the way around. I glued it in with some epoxy just to see what it will look like but it may be too undersized.

The 1/4" bit was probably too long. I may try again with a shorter bit.

I was intimidated by having to either cut the corners square by hand of round over the corners of the bowties. I chopped the corners square and it turned out to be easy.

Thanks for the help.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081