Subject:
Applied edge trimming jig. *PIC*

Virgil Johnson
I started building a new cabinet for our laundry room from cherry veneer and birch veneer plywood. On several panels I glued a 1/4" strip of cherry to hide the plywood core and match the cherry face frame. I think this is more durable than iron on veneer. I needed a method to trim the overhang down flush easily since I am going to build a few more cabinets after this one. Yeah I could do this with a plane while listening to the birds sing and fine tuning my...yawn..This project is far removed from fine furniture and I'm in hurry.

I built a jig for my router that makes quick work of knocking the 1/16 material down to within .005" or so of the veneer face. I milled the strips to 13/16 (ply is about .700) and I can glue them on fast and not have to fuss with getting them exactly flush. Did I mention I was in a hurry?

The jig is made from scrap 1/4 hardboard and pine. Glued assembly. ( I was in a rush here as well) The groove between the pine and hardboard is for the 1/4 strip to clear before being trimmed. The bit sits about .005 above the hardboard that forms the base.

I used a 3/8 straight flute bit. The cut was very smooth with no tear out. I took off the bulk of the raised edge with a card scraper before finish sanding with 320.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081