Subject:
Re: Long rant!
Response To:
where do you live? ()

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana
Well, I'm 79 years old, worked with and around chemicals most of my life. I was an Engineer at an Emerson Electric company (Mallory Controls) for 39 years. We used Triclorathane 111, Trichloroethylene, Acetone etc. in huge quantities (large underground storage tanks). Handled a LOT of various epoxies in 5 gal. bucket quantities.

I also remember as a youth using a lot of DDT spraying for flies. I worked in Gas stations as a second job in my younger days - repaired a lot of leaking brake wheel cylinders, often this required cleaning the brake shoes (asbestos linings) by use of a wire wheel on a grinder until all glaze was removed. I also used flexible rolls of asbestos to coat furnace chimney pipes & seal chimneys for several years, had a "paste I mixed as an adhesive".

When I was about 20 I worked at a electric motor repair shop, we repaired large motors and manual motor starters, often changing the PCB laden oil in the starters. We kept a bucket of it and washed our hands in in to remove grease!

I and my wife raised 6 children (his / hers and ours) so had a large garden, I used Sevin often to kill pests - remember using some other pesticides but can't recall their names. At the same time I used quite a bit of Roundup and equivalent to kill grass and weeds in and around our gravel driveway.

As a lad I can remember saving Mercury in a bottle and coating pennies with it as well as holding it in my hand!

During all the above I never owned or used any kind of protection - guess I was just lucky as I am still fairly healthy!

Can't say I would recommend anyone doing any of the above today, but sure do think some of the "scare tactics" lawyers are using today are way overblown!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081