Subject:
It's hard...
Response To:
Re: toxic fears ()

David Weaver
..to put a material affect or causation on anything like that.

My grandparents were farmers and lived through the non-license and highly toxic era of pesticide application. They averaged age 86 at death. Two from cancer, two not (hard to attribute a whole lot to metastatic cancer detected at age 88).

My mother's dogs live on a property that is close to chemical free (thrift), and the last two have gotten cancer late in life (one with a slightly shortened lifetime). what caused their cancer? Who knows. It could be a genetic bloodline issue, but it is very unlikely that it was pesticides.

I have a small garden - it's only about 200 square feet. At some point, the bug damage becomes bad in it. I usually just give up on whatever we're eating at that point, but I did use sevin dust about a decade ago (per label instructions - not following the instructions can be bad) and it solved an outbreak.

For commercial production around here, the CSAs that cost about double the grocery store rate for food cannot manage to produce food without pesticides. Things that work in 200 square feet (picking pests off and squashing them, etc) don't work even at a local level with 50 or 60 acres.

Knowing what i know about mortality, it's difficult to have a phobia of some sort and have it be likely that what you're afraid of would shorten your life, and that your actions have prevented it.

I can tell you this. Heart disease death rates have declined steeply for the last 40 years or so and are kind of at a standstill. The biggest attribute driving this is the decline in smoking.

Cancer mortality rates (e.g., the chance at any given age that cancer will kill you) have been steadily dropping over that period of time, too. Despite the fact that reading about this or that cause will lead you to believe that more and more people are dying of cancer each year. that may be true nominally - people are living longer, living after heart disease, etc, living with comorbidities like diabetes. If you're doing what makes you comfortable and what makes you feel safer, that's good. If you're concluding too much more than that (person X did Y and died of A, and you did Z and did not), then the outcome is known, but the cause guessed is probably inaccurate.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081