Subject:
Dealing with European bark edged lumber

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Buried in a post below on beech is a discussion of European Beech. Logs are sawed through (sometimes, often?) without turning the log, and the lumber dried and sold as whatever came from the log. While this practice could be done at some small band saw mills I have never seen a log processed this way at a mill in the US. The practice leads to two questions. Why would logs ever be sawed this way and once in the shop how does the shop begin to turn a board with bark on both edges into straight edged lumber?

The disadvantages seem numerous. A lot of useless material is carried through from mill to shop. Scraps that would be used for kiln fuel are pushed into the shop. Kiln capacity is inefficiently used. Ditto transportation. The shop is left dealing with a substantial quantity of low grade lumber only useful for short or narrow cuttings.

Removing bark at the mill is trivial and efficient. I don't have a way in my shop of easily straightening a bark edge. How is it done?

To clarify the questions, I am directing the questions to the market of a professional shop making the variety of a professional wood shop's products. But even a hobby shop is faced with a lot of low grade lumber and waste disposal it is not well equipped to deal with.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081