Subject:
Re: follow-up from looking up prices

Sgian Dubh
"Sounds like there would be a fair amount of waste in it (likely), ..."

More than likely that would be the case. An old and commonly espoused guide here in the UK to allow for waste when buying, for example, seasoned waney edged oak sawn through and through is up to ~200%. So, for example, if you work out you need 10 ft³ for the project, buy ~30 ft³. In Americanese, that's 120 bd ft and 360 bd ft.

Sapwood is usually undesirable in species such as oak, and other timbers with dark heartwood, but it's not a fault (even as desirable as heartwood, mostly) in pale wood species, such as maples including, for example, sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus).

You mention bugs and beech, and over here our native beech is much favoured by common furniture beetle, as is walnut for that matter - I can't say how fond the beetle is of American beech, though. I don't recall how many antiques and other examples of old furniture that included beech I've worked on that were riddled with the beetle's tunnels. For example, I've found chair rails of beech, veneered on the show face with mahogany, that were/are sometimes little more than a powdery core, but the beetles had barely touched the show mahogany which can be anything from about 1 mm to thick to maybe 6 or more mm thick. Common furniture beetle is now rarely found in wooden artefacts inside most contemporary living spaces with their decent climate control systems; it's generally too dry for them to do much damage, but that's not always been the case, hence the beetle damaged old stuff. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081