Subject:
economics
Response To:
I say go for it ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Seems like a cheapskate's dream come true.

I can't judge the validity of this conclusion from the data provided. The price of logs in the woods is a tiny fraction of the cost of an installed finished floor. We don't know what it will cost to haul, saw, dry and mill, then haul to job site vs buying equivalent flooring.

We don't know what the expectations are for the product. Clear defect free floor? Rustic? We don't even know what kind of floor. Narrow strip-practical. Plank-forget it. We don't know the grade of the logs vs the expectations of the product. Once on the ground beech spalts quickly. Beech in these parts yield low grade logs that saw low grade lumber. Northern beech can be better.

We don't know the quality of the product the mill promises or the likelihood they will deliver it. Dealing with small mills over the years has taught me to be skeptical of their capability.

Nail it down solidly with your t-nailer and you've got a solid, durable floor and a bit of nostalgia Agree with this part.

Beech deserves gets a bum rap because it is prone to deforming If the mill tries to mill flooring from warped and twisted lumber the result will be difficult to deal with.

Once properly KD it will not further warp or otherwise come off the floor. I have KD small quantities of beech and not had it go crazy. But it was well stacked.
The cracks may come and go seasonally but most flooring does that, more of less.

I will say again, whatever the benefits are of proceeding, and they are unlikely economic, the risk is substantial. The perceived benefit needs to justify this risk.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081