Subject:
Planer keeps going out of adjustment

Randy Johnson
I haven’t been on here for several years, but I’m back with the hopes someone can offer a solution to a problem.
I have a Powermatic Model 15 planer that I bought new 10 or 12 years ago. It is one of those machines that might not be used for months and then get heavy use for a few days. It has worked flawlessly every time. Until yesterday.
I adjust the thickness, tighten the locking knobs front and rear ....... and I’m lucky to get two four foot boards through before the table drops 1/16 of an inch. The only explanation I can come up with is that the locking knobs and nuts aren’t doing their job, although I’m at a loss to explain why it has suddenly become a problem. A fifteen or twenty minute conversation with tech support at Powermatic this afternoon didn’t solve anything. The gentleman I talked to suggested something wrong with the jackscrew and worm gear. But as I told him, there is no problem raising or lowering the table, the problem, even with the locking knobs tighter than I ever tightened them in the past, is that the table is slipping down when a board is being planed. I know there has to be some way to fix this, but I have tried everything I can think of.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081