Subject:
I tried dehumidifier method without success *LINK*

Keith Newton
Barry, I had read an article in FWW many years ago that seemed reasonable, but when I tried it, I wasn't able to make it work after trying two units for a couple of weeks. That's when I pulled the second dehumidifier out and replaced it with a small space heater blowing in air from the outside while letting some air escape from the enclosed space. It was a pretty large stack of red oak, but only took a couple of weeks to get down to about 6~8% from air dried.

Think of this like your clothes dryer. It draws in air from the outside, over the heating elements into the drum, letting the hot moist air escape. If you just turn the heat off so it only pulls the outside air through, it's going to take a LONG TIME. The warmer the air, the more moisture it can absorb, and the quicker your lumber will dry. As long as there is some moisture evaporating from the wood, the temperature will be lower and go up slowly. When the wood is finally dry, I've had the temp go as high as 150ยบ which is more than enough to kill any insects as well.

I hope the pallet manufactures in your area don't find out your cheating them out of their skid materials. They might be out to get you if they do. ;-)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081