Subject:
US 2k Spraymax two-part cans

David Weaver
Bill or others - has anyone used this? The marketed name is spraymax clear gloss (they call it 2k, but perhaps not to be confused with the "2k" polyurethanes I've seen articles on as those are suggested to be around 50% solids - or maybe i'm wrong and it's the same thing? These cans are about 35% solids).

(This is the SDS, which is more useful than the sales listings).
https://download.kwasny.com/datasheets/SDSREZ59_3680061_20190731_EN.pdf

it's a two part spray can, claims to be urethane. I have a spray setup, but it's not happening in the house (spraying conversion varnish or lacquer, etc) due to kids and spouse - not even garage.

I've actually used this finish, and am considering using it on a guitar body in the spring when it gets a little warmer. It flashes off in about 10 minutes and then I'm sure it takes quite a bit longer to cure.

I haven't used it on wood yet, though - I used it on a car hood on a car that had just gone out of warranty and had paint issues. I'm inexperienced with anything more advanced than lacquers/wb finishes or consumer goods (polyurethane, etc).

the reason I'm interested in finding out what exactly this is and how it would compare to something like a conversion varnish is that I noticed that it was infinitely harder than the original car clearcoat, and I also found out that if even a tiny bit of overspray drifts onto anything, forget it - it'll just stay there.

Guitars aren't generally repairable finishes these days, and I already have made guitars with varnish/wb finish and french polish. Based on my experience with cars, this might be interesting on a commodity type guitar (fender type, etc) that really isn't expected to ever get any repair, and will be buffed out to a high gloss and be expected to be tough enough to retain it.

I wouldn't dream of using it on day to day woodworking stuff - it's expensive by volume, but on a guitar, that doesn't really matter. Plus, it's a necessity to spray it somewhere that overspray won't matter, because it dries like glue and cannot be levered off of a surface)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081