Subject:
A more general rule...
Response To:
Deliberate sidetrack ()

David Weaver
...aside from reading MSDS or SDS for various products. For any woodworker or toolmaker (me not being a chemist, so this is all trivial knowledge to me - there's no understanding of the machine, so to speak), any time chromium or chromate ever comes up in anything, some research is in order.

I learned that after being told errantly years ago that the chrome ox III powder that i was using on razors was hexavalent chromium.

The good news with shellac is that it will stick to about anything, so you can be far more reasonable about coloring. I've polished into wet stain using the stain as an oil for french polish with great results. Same with waterborne and alcohol-based dyes. As soon as the color is tolerable, I've gone straight to shellac - no wait.

Bill's interest is different than mine. I prefer to work by hand if possible, and I like to fill pores. I never make something identical, so there's never going to be batching, and something like a french polish is about as quick for a small maker on a guitar or small piece of furniture as surface prep, spray/bulld/leveling and then polishing.

In line with your suggestions, it's usually fairly easy (health-wise) on the user and other occupants in the house, too.

I tend to just do things, experiment and see how they work. I read when something doesn't work rather than too much before. Bill's understanding of chemistry leads him on to something like polyurethane to probably say (about the things that I do in some cases) - "why do you do that - it's outdated".

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081