Subject:
semi-tangent

David Weaver
This is of some interest to me because I buy and make some guitars, and if anyone thinks furniture is bad with misinformation, go to guitars.

The difference with guitars is that the highly opinionated people are buying, and they just want to be sold something that lines up with what they think (which manufacturers cater to).

Supposedly, "modern" finishes (which polyurethane is included in) can't make for a big open sounding guitar. Same folks tend to love how a 60s stratocaster would sound, or some of the vintage american guitar copies made in japan in the 70s and early 80s. A large number of each of those is polyurethane finish. On guitars, polyurethane will sometimes blush over time (at least on some of the desirable japanese guitars) - not sure why. Nitro is more repairable, but it's a no-no to repair a valuable older guitar, anyway, and the techs repairing guitars are moving toward using tinted CA products (which is a farce to me, but nobody will stop it - you can sell the gadget CA repair kits for huge money if you're an instrument specialty retailer).

Buyers for guitars have no idea what french polish is - they generally believe nitro finishes are the original guitar finishes (shellac and violin type varnishes probably were), and that nothing is harder (nitro for stringed instruments is softened quite a bit so that it doesn't craze and break). They're also sure that water based finishes are soft and look blue (I quite like target's "WB lacquer", which is no such thing, but it works well as a substitute, especially if used with crosslinker and shellac under - I can't see the difference with it).

Is it apparent what finish this mahogany is? (This is the butt end of an electric guitar blank that I've finished recently).

https://imgur.com/gallery/xsCNjbz

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081