Subject:
Side comment about frugality...
Response To:
solids content ()

David Weaver
..not trying to pick a fight with the potential savings (for simplification purposes, here, it appears to be somewhere in the ball park of 10-25%, depending on brand. I was looking for minwax, but where I live, I guess home depot decided they couldn't get enough out of minwax and wanted to change the brand to watco so that they could get the extra $1 for a quart. I quite like most of what i've tried from minwax in the oil based realm).

At any rate, I would look at something like this and call it $3 on a project with $200-$400 worth of materials and write it off on whatever I liked to use better, or whatever is more convenient. That doesn't mean I think other people should uniformly agree with me - I've got plenty of other irrational things. Like I hate to spend money on consumables that "go away", like sandpaper. If I spend $10 in sandpaper on something, it's no big deal - but I rarely sand because the act of using the sandpaper and constantly getting bits and pieces out and throwing more away drives me up a wall.

It's gotten to the point that I can plane and scrape faster than I ever could, and i'm "not good at using sandpaper" these days.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081