Subject:
solids content
Response To:
Identical vs. Similar ()

David Weaver
for fast drying poly 550 - probably about 39% (which would agree with the 58% figure for mineral spirits plus a couple of percent of other hazardous items).

That would leave a guess of 100-69.7-3 or thereabouts for the wipe on type. 27.3%.

If one adds half of the volume in mineral spirits, the solids content of the homemade wipe on would be 39/150 = 26% (close to the guess of the wipe on type).

100% would give 39/200= 19.5%

In the scheme of woodworking, i'm kind of wondering what we're saving exactly. I understand the implications with a production shop, but I have to admit that if I still have my poly can, I haven't used the first quart. If I used poly, I'd probably use two or three quarts a year. I calculate a potential savings based on all of these assumptions of about 13% if buying the mineral spirits by the quart, and 23% if buying by the gallon. I know it'll shock some, but mineral spirits aren't something I keep on hand.

It does look like there's potential savings if performance is seemingly the same. It also looks like folks who thin it 1 to 1 and who think they're really saving are just working with fewer solids than the pre-mixed product.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081