Subject:
Re: Wipe-On Polyurethane?
Response To:
Wipe-On Polyurethane? ()

Henry (Raleigh NC)
My RECOLLECTION from Michael Dresdner's (spelling?) book is this:
Wipe-on poly is a thinned out version of the full strength version. He recommends buying full strength stuff and thinning yourself if you want to use a wipe-on version. Again, as I recall, he recommended a thinned first coat (adding half, to as much as equal, amount of solvent to the full strength polyurethane) and maybe somewhat thinning subsequent coats (adding 5-10% more solvent).

I don't use this product much anymore (or any solvent borne finishes, except shellac) but recall that is what I have done with decent results.

A few other tips on practices you did not ask about - also from M Dresdner's writings:

He also recommended using a piece of 'non-woven abrasive' as an applicator - again something I have used with decent results (I used the white).

Lastly, on sheen. Traditional advice is to only use the satin or semigloss formulation on the final coat - building up layers of the satin or semigloss (with additional particles added to disperse light reflection) can make a finish look 'muddy'.

Henry

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081