Subject:
Re: OT- car head lights deficient

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana
Bill, a couple of years ago I ran into a problem with my 1996 GMC van lighting due to cataracts. When meeting cars on country roads with a poorly defined edge I had a real hard time telling when I was in my lane and not drifting off road. At that time I purchased the ultra bright (still legal in Indiana) Sylvania halogen headlamp replacement bulbs from Amazon for both my low and high beams, then I added 2 driving lights mounted to my front bumper. Only issue with these bulbs is that the expected life is only about a year of normal use. The driving lights were angled outward to cover both side of the road. The driving lights came with a relay and a off/on switch meant to be dash mounted. However, as I recall we wired them up so that the low beam or park lights (which come on no matter whether your in high or low beam position). These do light up roadside hazards like deer pretty well off the side of the road. Total cost was a little over $200.

This worked for me - since had my cataracts removed but still need more light than I did a few years ago! I have since purchased another custom van (2003 Dodge B100) and now have replaced the bulbs with the newer high intensity LED direct bulb replacement. These are extremely bright and meet most of my needs. However I also have purchased another set of driving / fog lights - yet to be installed, my son usually installs these for me but he has current medical problems so will install later.
This van has only 2 headlamp but with the driving / fog lamps still was slightly over $200.

It does seem that even though they meet Dot standards, every state has different rules about lighting requirements, so be sure to investigate what Tenn requires before purchasing new lights.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081