Subject:
Music Stand Glue up process

Alan Young
I am working on another music stand. This will be finished in actual wood tones not the Black Lacquer as in my previous versions.Walnut and Ash are the woods.

I didn't start picture taking till the glue-up of the tripod base. The base is comprised of the three legs/feet, the center triangle and the solid wood loose tenons.

I use T88 two part epoxy mixed with black dye.

Clamping these odd shaped pieces together is best done one leg/foot to the triangle section at a time...
Getting odd shaped pieces to close together accurately means coming up with odd clamping techniques.

Here I use a C clamp on the foot. I have placed the C clamp just past the foot edge. This keeps the accompanying F clamp from slipping off as I tighten it.

On the underside I screwed a plywood cleat to the leg which gives a surface to clamp.

The"desk" is fabricated and temporarily mounted to the Brass Adjustment Mechanism.

The column for the brass extension pole is first formed as a square with an opening down the center to accept the pole.
The column will be temporarily capped and turned on the lathe to a round profile.
The Tripod base will be sculpted to a final refined form.

Messages In This Thread

Music Stand Glue up process
Re: Music Stand Glue up process
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081