Subject:
Re: A home for my diamonds

William Duffield
Yours is similar to what I did for my chrome polishing compound, except I took a short cut or two. I glued the horsebutt strop to the bottom board and glued the sides only to the top board, so I didn't need to saw it apart. That probably resulted in my wasting more time fiddling with the fitment of the side strips. I figure a horsebutt strop charged with chromium oxide is much harder to keep clean and easier to contaminate than a diamond plate or natural stone, so making a covered container for it is higher priority than my other sharpening media.

I made one improvement by gluing a strip of wood across the bottom a couple inches from the front end of the box, so I could clamp it in my shoulder vise to keep it from slipping around.

I used 0.3 micron dry Cr2O3 powder that I mixed with mineral oil. To apply it to the strop, I loaded the mixture into a syringe (Monoject 412), making a big mess in the process, squirted a little onto the strop, and spread it around with the first edge I honed on it.

Messages In This Thread

A home for my diamonds *PIC*
But
Re: But
Re: A home for my diamonds
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081