Subject:
Re: SURVEY: Ides of September +8

Hank Knight
I'm 75. I've been retired for six years. Woodworking has been my hobby for most of my life. When I was a kid, my father took up woodworking as a hobby and I followed along. Over the years, I've been interested in lots of other things, sailing, music, photography and others, but woodworking pulls me back. It always has. I enjoy the challenge of learning new skills and solving problems; it keeps my head in the game. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment when I build something I'm satisfied with. I love the knowledge that I can build a piece of furniture that is demonstrably better that almost anything I can buy on today's furniture market. I enjoy the accolades my work gets from friends and acquaintances, and I especially enjoy applying my skills to help neighbors and friends with projects they thought were impossible or beyond their means. In recent years I've enjoyed working on joint projects in my shop with my grown daughter, my only child, experiences I will cherish to my grave. I hope I live and remain functional long enough to share what I've learned with my grandson. In this regard, I hope my grandson demonstrates some interest in woodworking. I couldn't help but notice that all of the responses to Ellis' survey are from guys like me, guys in their 60s and 70s, retired, mostly, and entering the afternoons and evenings of their lives. The sad thing here is that few young people these days show much interest in woodworking. I hope the resurgence in popularity of woodworking post WWII (my generation) is imbedded deeply enough to carry these skills and this culture forward to succeeding generations. It is eminently satisfying and rewarding to some of us.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081