Subject:
Big Meets Small *PIC*

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level
So for many years I have been focused on furniture and lighting. But in the coming months I have decided to switch gears for a while and venture further into sculpting and perhaps more sculptural forms of light. Wood will be my primary medium but I likely will integrate other things like cast glass into the compositions.

Just in time for this venture, I came across a couple of barn finds that should really help me work with the heavy irregular wood forms as I carve.

While in Kentucky I found a guy selling an Emmert K-1 pattern makers vise. It was in great condition but needed a good cleaning and lubrication. Then, while in Indiana I was buying some lumber and found the bench in the guy's pole barn. The wood was dry and filthy but otherwise the bench was solid. He said $100 if ya want it. DEAL!

The bench is a Christiansen bench, about 1920's vintage. Locking drawers, even has the key! All maple with original Christiansen end vise. So I cleaned it up. And maniac that I am, I went about mounting the Emmert to the bench.

Anyone who is familiar with the Emmert K-1 knows that this vise is a monster. It amuses me to have a crazy big vise on a small bench. But for my purposes it will be perfect. The Emmert will be a real help for holding work while I carve. It can rotate, tilt and the jaws can be set at an angle. The bench will hold all my carving tools.

I put the setup on a mobile base so I can roll it outside for working al fresco. I can't wait to get the chisels going!

Happy Humpday.
T.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081