Messages

Subject:
Re: The explanation in the link is incorrect

Barry Irby
So, I did a test.

I used two scraps of cherry, ripping one at a glacial pace on a glue line rip blade, purposefully causing it to burn the wood. the other one I ripped a t "normal" speed resulting in a piece that had only a small patch of burn.

I put a drop of water on one burned surface and one fresh clean surface and waited. It became apparent after only a couple of minutes the water was spreading and setting the surface pretty much equally.

I glued them back together with Titebond Original, burn to burn and clean to clean, and left them over night. Split them with a chisel. Set the chisel right on the glue line on the end and struck it sharply. The burned piece failed right down the glue line with only about 1% of one piece left sticking to the other. 99% failure. The clean piece split about a 1/4" down the glue line and then followed the grain. 99% success. Then I turned it around and struck it from the other end. This time the little patch of burned area failed and the rest of the glue line held up. About 85% success.

I realize this is not a thorough or scientific test, but it's enough for me to conclude it's a good idea to clean the surface, removing the burned area on any joint. And although I am not a hand tool guy, the people that take a pass with a jointer plane have a good idea. Never seen a hand plane burn the wood.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081