Subject:
Thanks for the Link....
Response To:
drop of water test *LINK* ()

Barry Irby
Sometimes I think my questions are too long and pointedly detailed. Sometimes they are open ended and too loosely drawn. Hard to get the correct balance.

The article Dick posted is right on point.

The pieces that were ripped in the video were about five feet long and 1 1/2"+ wide. They were probably 90% free of burn but had and area maybe 8" long that showed significant burn, probably greater than 50% of that area. This was apparently related to the grain orientation in that area. So I wondered if that much burn would weaken the laminated rocker if only in that area.

The young man in the video either bought new blades for the process or at least installed blades he had on hand and took out of the sleeve for the purpose. At the very least he switched from rip blades to crosscut blades.

As far as watching videos from idiots or uninformed providers...if I can learn from my mistakes, I can learn from other's mistakes faster, cheaper, and safer. No cherry was burned asking this question here.

I wondered about the burned surface showing in the lamination and assumed they might.

I also use excellent quality blades and good technique and have minimal burning. If I pick up a piece of wood with aged surfaces, I joint or sand them to provide fresh surface. I also have some experience gluing exotics that are notoriously difficult to glue. I was wondering if I was overdoing it.

Off to the shop to burn some cherry and try a drop of water on it. With any luck at all I can burn enough to do the water test and glue some to see if the joints fail or show.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081