Subject:
Re: How
Response To:
How ()

Barry Irby
You and David are both correct.

On interior doors that fit the opening I remove the remaining screws, move the hinge out of the way and drill the wallowed out hole out with a 3/8" split point twist drill, dab in a little glue, the plug, trim the plug and put the hinge back, drilling the new hole with a Vix Bit, which I encourage a tiny amount toward the stop. That way the screw tend to put the hinge as deep as possible into the mortise. I have done hundreds of these and the bag of plugs is standard kit when flipping a house with pre-hung doors.

It may be a bit crude, but on exterior doors I use 3" deck screws. They may be green, but the heads fit nicely into the countersink in the hinges. I usually replace the screws nearest the stop. Those tow will drive solidly into the framing whereas the the two nearest the knuckle will often drive between the drywall and the framing, doing nothing good. Those two hole are repaired as above with plugs if necessary. I generally install the long screws in the upper and middle hinge because those screws are in tension. The screws in the bottom hinge are in compression. Generally the exterior door are much heavier than interior doors. With these longer screws you can pull the door jamb back at the top, lifting the door on the strike side. Often you can take out the sag, improve the fit across the top and bottom and realign the strike. An impact driver is the tool of choice for this. It's a small miracle. I have used brass screws, but I find many hinges accept No. 9 (Deck) screws better than No. 10's and the brass screws are much more likely to snap off under the influence of the impact driver. The people buying these houses have never noticed the deck screws or don't give a rat's rump. The tenants in my eight rentals don't care either.

On the second house I built I hired some carpenters to hang solid core slab doors. Even almost fifty years ago I was amazed they were willing to hang them for $7 each. I stopped by while they were working and saw them drive the hinge screws in with a hammer. No predrilling a hole, just drive them in like a nail. I was stunned, they said, "Hammer is for putting them in, screwdriver is for taking them out."

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081