Subject:
Re: What is the advantage of routing that orientat

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
The joint that shows is between the end of tails and pin board. This surface can be a challenge to chisel if the grain of the pin board is not straight. I take advantage of the router to make this surface accurate. It will be created by the depth of the 1/4" carbide bit I use. Hence, I route with the board laying flat on the bench. This orientation provides adequate surface to support the router. The surface that shows less (bottom of socket) is chiseled to the scribe line like the tails. No risk of the chisel running out on this end grain no matter how figured the pin board is. The remaining waste is long grain and it is both quick and trivial to remove.

Bill, I do it my orientation it is possible to get closer to the socket walls, which are vertical now (with you they are angled).

I set the depth of cut to the floor of the socket. Don't forget that I use a kerfing chisel to deepen the socket walls, which creates a release cut for paring with a chisel. I can freehand along the side walls within the kerf distance from the side walls. On the other hand, I am always a little wary of routing on the boundary line, and rather leave 1mm to pare away. It is easy to simply place the chisel in the scribe line and push down.

The photo below shows why I also now set a fence to limit the cut to 1mm, and not just freehand along this line: the boundary line on the right has been cut over. The single-point fence enables the bit to move into angled corners.

I think that is may be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Both methods/orientations have pros and cons. I like the extra registration you have in your orientation. I think that I will try it again and make some more comparisons.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081