Subject:
Re: The Harlequin side table: fine dados/housings

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Bill, I do have a dado plane, but it is not my first choice with stopped dados. It can be done, but not as simple as a through dado.

The HNT Gordon dado plane:

I have also demoed the Veritas Combination Plane and the Stanley #46 alongside the Veritas cutting dados ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasComboDadoMore.html

The other issue .... I wanted a 10mm dado and the HNT Gordon is 1/2". And all the planes I have are also Imperial. :)

Why 10mm? It is half of 20mm, the case thickness. I do not want the dividers to dominate.

The templates? You're correct - I could just have made a 10mm section and used it for all. Probably would have been a better "risk". I have a DRO on my tablesaw, and this made it easy to dial in the rips. I am still mindful of the marking out errors that crept into the Apothecary Chest (where I needed to fill the mistakes and recut dados).

Why Merbau as a secondary wood? Why did I not use Hard Maple throughout? I do not have much Maple - keep in mind that all I get is imported into the country. Merbau is cheap, and it is hard wearing. One has to be careful when working it, but the hardness is what I wanted with drawers sliding back-and-forth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Messages In This Thread

The Harlequin side table: fine dados/housings
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081