Subject:
Re: I used to abide by #2
Response To:
The view from 30000 feet ()

david weaver
..."you can't learn without good tools" kind of thing.

I've since given myself a break and start more like #1 on something new and give myself the time to learn without thinking that outcomes will be ideal right from the start.

I no longer have a bandsaw, but when I did, I got a defective resaw king. They were on sale and nonreturnable. Mine didn't have enough relief and it wouldn't cut straight because it was always under the influence of the wood.

I was assured that it was just me.

So I gave the blade away, at a loss of $175. Someone who was sure that it was just me had the same saw as I did and paid $14 for me to ship the blade to him.

He found the same thing.

My real scenario with the saw was maybe resawing 75 board feet a year with it, and I found a much less expensive blade worked fine. I resharpened silicon steel blades with a diamond chainsaw burr and never managed to fully wear one out (did have one break, but at a cost of $35 to replace it) to the point that it couldn't be resharpened again.

I must've ruined about $250 worth of lumber various times trying to get the resaw king to work, but only ruined one resaw learning the ropes with the less expensive blades.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081