Subject:
The view from 30000 feet

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I have bought a used saw and of a variety I have no experience using and perhaps only a vague idea how I will use it.

1. Buy a $15 blade, or $20 if I don't want to use the local saw shop, and learn to use the saw with it, and learn how I will use the saw, and maybe even how much I will use the saw. Up-grade when I discover these inexpensive blades don't do something I need to do. Not feel bad if something screws up in my learning and I wreck the blade hitting a nail, a guide or whatever.

Discover that a blade good for sawing in a straight line is damn poor for cutting arcs. Learn enough about my saw to change a blade in a minute, presuming I bought a saw designed to be versatile enough to cut arcs and straight lines.

2. Or, spend vastly more to buy a blade ideally suited to squeezing a few thousandths of an inch of veneer per slice from rare or expensive wood, as well as other band sawing functions. Learn to use the saw with it, and learn how I will use the saw, and maybe even how much I will use the saw to saw rare and expensive veneer. Hope I don't wreck it learning and I will use it enough to be cost effective.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081