Subject:
Re: I've gotten in trouble...

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
...with the moderation on every forum I've been on at one time or another, mostly because I'm arguing with someone on the forums and ...well, arguing doesn't bother me most of the time, but it does bother some other folks.

David, we have known each other a long time, and I love you like a brother, but - man - when you do get your teeth into something, you become like a bull dog. Not everyone gets your passion. Don't stop. :)

I didn't get kicked off of SMC but resigned my membership when they repeatedly mistreated George Wilson because he provided educated opinions about woodworking bloggers who talk the talk but can't walk the walk, or because he knew enough to tell folks that they had provided bad advise and it wasn't a matter of opinion. One of the rules over there basically no matter what you know, everyone is obligated to tell you that your opinion is just as important as theirs.

I don't quite see it that way. Yes, I agree that George was treated shabbily by some, but that was not management; that was some of the posters who were either opinionated and/or trolling. The complication is that a few of us were aware of George's health and the constant pain he has been in for years, and we have been protective. George is such a wonderful man, not just a wonderful craftsman, that we - well, I for one - wanted to strangle these fellows.

Freedom of speech has its downsides.

I never liked that manufacturers or makers instantly had their logins banned unless they agreed to hand money over to post. No matter what was being said or how incorrect it was, there was no ability for manufacturers to respond. Unless they paid.

I don't know if this is so. Perhaps someone like Rob Lee can comment. He posts there as much as here. I am not aware of any restrictions he has had to endure.

I would rather see the forum sold or given to someone else who wants it to become a collection of useful knowledge and lively discussion rather than a place to farm members - the format is nice, but as it is now, if it went completely offline, I don't think it would be any loss.

I would be saddened to see SMC close down. There are as many informative and passionate and friendly there as there are here. In my opinion, SMC joins WC as one of a very few woodworking fori that are capable of discussing the full range intelligently. I have visited many fori, and for the most part, they are held together by beginners. Beginners are important - they become the future - but the numbers of fori that cater to the middle- or advanced groups are few and far between. SMC is one of the good guys.

The moderation here is ideal. I can get in trouble here from time to time, but I'm sure I've deserved it. The moderation over there is constantly admonishing people publicly, editing posts so that they often don't even mean the same thing they originally meant, and then complaining loudly about how difficult it is to moderate the group. All the while, meaningful content and meaningful contributors to the discussions disappear into oblivion.

I agree that moderation here is good. Ellis is always fair, thoughtful and considerate. The owner of SMC has not impressed me as being flexible, and I question his breadth of knowledge as a woodworker. Ellis is way out there in this regard. Without this ability, how does one make decisions about levels of expertise?

Would someone else do a better job at running a forum? Quite likely. But would you find someone to do this as well as Ellis? Quite unlikely. Unless you want to volunteer? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081