Subject:
Ads and editorial

Ellis Walentine
Most display advertising is sold by the CPM method (cost per thousand eyeballs). so magazines with higher circ, like Wood, make more ad revenue simply by virtue of having a higher readership (subs and newsstand combined). But, ad rates vary with the cachet of the magazine, too; and the mags regarded by advertisers as best in class for their target audience get to charge a higher CPM. There are no absolute values.

Page count is almost directly related to ad volume, because of the costs of producing the magazine -- salaries, paper, mech and mailing, printing. As I recall, we usually were running about 40% ad pages and 60% editorial -- at least that was the target. If the ad salesmen sold enough ads, we could make the book bigger by adding pages incrementally, usually 8 or 16 pages at a time, since those were the increments that came off the press.

I have never understood Home Furniture's rise and fall. It was a very cool idea that appealed to folks like me (and you), but it was a bit of an orphan. I think Taunton was hoping to cross over into the buyer's side of the custom furniture marketplace, while continuing to attract custom furniture makers as well. It may have been too big a stretch, editorially and ad-saleswise to really click. I haven't analyzed page counts, but 13 to 20 pages of ads was likely too low to sustain a magazine of sufficient page count to attract an adequate subscriber base. For their part, advertisers of woodworking equipment and supplies may not have felt that the hybrid audience would buy enough of their widgets to justify high CPMs, or any ad budget at all.

All speculation, but I'm pretty sure it was economic problems that sank that magazine.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081