Subject:
The first thing that catches my eye,

Keith Newton
Is those arches with a bit of flat in the middle. I would try a really long flat ellipse, then split the arch across the top pair of doors, but not the bottom pair, just leave those top rails straight.

I think I might add at least one inch to thecabinet side width, so the shelves have a bit more than just a point of support. I don’t recall if they are glass, but if they are, you’ll need to thicken the back for some sort of support back in the middle.

As for the trim, back when I was young and starting out, someone in your thread below mentioned “The Chippendale Directory”, which I added to my library so I could study the curves and proportions that were a lot nicer than what I could buy from my suppliers or make with the stock router and shaper cutters at the time, so I was glad when I finally got my first shaper large enough to grind my own bevel edge knives to make my own personal details.
Well that warm fuzzy feeling wore off pretty quickly when I realized how expensive the knife stock was back then, plus the time it took to hand grind on my crude equipment made it cost prohibitive back then.

Over the years I’ve managed to pick up quite a bit of knife stock and other blades, which I hardly ever use. Some time along the way, working with some of my architect clients the concept of “less is more” finally sunk in. I learned that my clients didn’t have any feelings one way or another about the sweet curves of any particular trim detail, and that the bastardized stock patterns sold at all the lumber yards was fine with them,,,,,,, well sorta. What I finally realized was that what really worked for ME, whether they realized it or not, was that I found leaving out the curvy details, but keep all the steps and changing levels which read the same as the old trim, as far as highlights and shadows, achieved a more contemporary look.

Aside from some special cutters that I ground for panel or base molding where I have lots to run for a room or two, I can knock out a pretty decent crown of any size with just one cutter on the table saw, and not take a lot of time doing it.

I’ve got to go now, but can gather up some leftover scraps that I send you some pics of later.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081