Subject:
Re: Finishing
Response To:
Re: Finishing ()

Hank Knight
Tom, I didn't mean to ignore your question. We were out of town yesterday and today and I wasn't able to check this site. William pretty much nailed the answer I would have given you. My scraper plane is a Lie-Nielsen 112. I don't use it very often, but on really difficult curly woods, like curly maple, it's invaluable. As William said, the sharpening, honing angle is not critical; the blade angle of attack is adjustable on the plane, so the honing angle is not critical. I sharpen my blade at 45 degrees, hone it and turn a VERY SLIGHT burr (some users argue that a burr is unnecessary, but I've always done it). I then take a few swipes with the blade as I would with a card scraper to determine the best angle of attack. I put the blade in the plane and set it at that angle. It's a guess at that point. I usually have to fiddle with it to get the angle right. When it starts taking fine shaving, I lock it down. Someone also suggested a Stanley #80. I use those too. I find them really simple to use and they do a good job. For larger surfaces, however, I don't think you can beat a 112. I don't own any Veritas planes, but I understand they are excellent. I think either one would serve you very well. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081