Subject:
500 cabinets
Response To:
Enormous Subject *PIC* ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Susan might well find the work of those you referenced excellent. I never heard of any of them so I have never been inspired by their work to build something similar or offered her an example to critique. My interactions more typically are of the example provided. I see something I like for my socks but sense there is something wrong- prissy feet or unemployed arches. But I usually don't know what is wrong or how to fix the design. Prissy feet get sold so clearly someone disagrees, or ignores the fault; fine by me. There remains value in discussing the design.

I bought the book "500 Cabinets" erroneously thinking I would find 500 examples of furniture to store my socks. I have no doubt that the editors picked the finest design examples they could find. I expect that socks were stored in few of these pieces. Rather they were bought, I suppose, to be admired for their colors, textures and shapes, and if they even vaguely resembled a cabinet they could be called such and included in the book. By analogy, I spent most of a day at a pottery mecca looking for a cereal bowl. I saw hundreds of containers in wonderful colors, shapes and textures and none met the needs of an attractive cereal bowl. I judged them all "lacking" by this criteria. If the potter called the work a "bowl" I thought it fair game to judge it according to a place to pour Cheerios. Otherwise truth in labeling would have called it a self decoration.

When we critique furniture design perhaps there is a fundamental distinction between critiquing the design of a place to store your socks vs an art project to decorate the living room, that is labeled a cabinet.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081