Subject:
Re: surface mount
Response To:
surface mount *PIC* ()

Jason Roehl in Lafayette, IN
I see what you're getting at, but there are many of those LEDs used in a single "bulb". A single LED is generally 3W or less, most used in an array to form a bulb are more on the order of 1W.

So, to compare a single diode to a fluorescent lamp is NOT apples to apples. I'm comparing bulbs--a T8 replacement LED will have a tape similar to the picture I posted above on one side of the tube, running the length of it. The back side of that tube has about a 1/4" strip that is opaque where the LED tape is adhered. When the LED tube is installed in a fixture, the opaque section is installed adjacent to the fixture.

A T5HO, T8, or T12 will cast light all around the tube, including between it and the fixture, and some of that is absorbed. Since neither the manufacturers of LED tubes nor fluorescent tubes can control what fixtures in which they are installed, the lumen output is likely independent of fixture.

I contend that any fixture will absorb more of a fluorescent tube's output than an LED due to the nature of their construction. So a 2200-lumen LED tube will effectively cast more usable (unabsorbed) light than a 2200-lumen (or somewhat higher) fluorescent tube. I've done many such replacements, and while I haven't had a light meter available to me, the consensus among the office staff where replacements occurred is that the LED tubes are brighter.

Jason

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081