Found this handsome little box for $8. I didn’t see all the damage, but figured I couldn’t go wrong – still think so.
I’m in uncharted territory. I know nothing of working with veneer. So…
1. Where is a good source for bird’s eye maple veneer to attempt a color match?? These side panels are 5” x 8” and 1/32" thick. I have straightedges and sharp saws. I have a veneer saw but never used it on veneer. I can cut accurately with assorted tools I have.
2. Recommendations on how do I scrape/pry the existing partially loose panels off? Steam? Sand away old glue, or dissolve with some solvent?
3. Flatten whatever selected new veneer I find with heat? Book press? Iron?
4. I do not have a hot glue pot so what glue?
5. What don’t I know enough to ask?