Subject:
Interesting video *PIC*
Response To:
Video ()

John K Jordan
That sander would be an incredible tool for the shop. Unfortunately, one or two of us hobby types may not have one of that quality. Mine has a dinky "table" for the belt that doesn't even have a miter slot, but it does have a good cast iron table on the disk.

I use the disk to round corners instead of the belt as shown in the video. Besides having a real table, the table on a combo sander is typically lower for the disk than the belt making it easier to see when sanding to a line. But I'm not surprised that some people have trouble with the disk if they don't understand how to use it. (I heard an unbelievable rumor that some don't even read the manual... [gasp])

The disk on mine, properly used, excels at certain tasks such as squaring and sanding end grain on a 2x2 for a perfectly flat. I often use the belt to simply sand the flat sides of turning squares and blanks for auction or gifts to make them easier to see the actual color, figure, and evaluate the blank for defects. (Fact: each process step can increase the value to a potential bidder at the wood auction - compare a chainsawn chunk of log with bark to a stack of smooth-sided turning blanks with beautiful figure and no visible defects.)

The disk is also ideal, for me, to smooth bandsawn curves of these blanks before turning. I also run blanks like this through the drum sander so I can better evaluate to make final decisions before turning. I far prefer to avoid avoidable surprises after committing to, for example, which side of a blank will be the top.

to make this kind of thing

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081