Subject:
Call me too careful, but...
Response To:
Polyurethane question? ()

Ellis Walentine
... I wouldn't have used old varnish on a big important project like this. And, I'm wondering about the aluminum oxide in the varnish. Isn't that formulated to make stair treads grippy? I would have applied two or three coats of fresh gloss varnish (these days I am liking Helmsman) and followed up with a final coat of satin. I did this on our kitchen counters about ten years ago and it has worn like iron.

Regarding the appearance of your fumed oak, Stickley himself played a lot with post-fuming techniques, including dye stains, spirit varnishes and banana lacquer, which was essentially amyl acetate, about as colorless a lacquer as you could find. Today, if you want to warm up the fumed oak appearance, the best way would be to mix up a stain that produced the desired look. And I agree with others that you've extended the cure time by recoating too soon, that warmer temps will speed up the curing, and that you don't need a sealer under urethane.

For what it's worth, when I was finishing large pieces during the winter, I would roll up the living room rug and bring the piece(s) into the house to finish them. (My shop was always heated with wood.)

Ellis

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081