Subject:
Re: New here
Response To:
New here ()

Jim Dillon
Welcome to WoodCentral! First, I second what Stephen said and that is to first focus on your studies. Secondly, without knowing more about your interests, buy a copy of Fine Woodworking (FWW) and/or Popular Woodworking (PWW) magazines and peruse them. Don't be intimidated (as I was) by the projects. But the projects described in those two mags will give you an idea of what some "woodworkers" do. The "Gallery" section of FWW will give you exposure to a variety of finished projects - some in different media. PWW has a section on developing basic woodworking skills called "I Can Do That" or something like that. While many of those projects involve "flat wood", a whole other area of woodworking involves turning wood on a lathe. At your stage, basic projects like book shelves, a study desk, gifts etc. are very doable, if you have access to some woodworking tools. Are you in an area with a local woodworking club? That would be an excellent way to see what woodworkers do and get good advice. As a side note, the great thing about woodworking is that the tools/skills/confidence you acquire along the way transfer to many future home/apartment/whatever projects that will pop up over time. Please get back to us with more questions as you explore what is out there. Hope this helps. Jim

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081