Subject:
Re: Talk me down out of the trees....

Hank Knight
Barry,

Several posters have commented on the need for jointer capacity to match your planer capacity. I'm in that camp. Having a 20" planer doesn't do you much good unless you have a way to flatten rough lumber before you send it through the planer. I would love to have a 20" planer, but I have a tiny shop and no room for such a machine or a big old wide jointer to go with it. Don Stephan mentioned combo jointer/planer machines. That was my answer. I had a little Inca 10" J/P for 25 years that I loved. I traded up several years ago to a Hammer 12" combo J/P. What a great move that was. I now have a 12" planer aand a 12" jointer in my little shop. The Hammer is a serious, powerful machine, much more robust and really a different class machine altogether than my little Inca. My only regret is that I didn't get Hammer's 16" model with their new segmented cutter head. It's not much bigger than the 12" one and it would fit nicely in my shop. For a small shop, I don't think you can beat a combo machine. They are a little pricy, but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081