Subject:
About that gap

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
Thanks everybody for taking the time to read and respond to my question.

I got it to work, but I still can't understand how, when I joint one edge of a board, then rip that board with the jointed edge against the fence, I was getting a board with one edge with a curve. I've been using this jointer and TS for 20+ years and never recall having this problem.

Pretty sure, since it wasn't a consistent problem and didn't happen to each board, either the board just hated me or there was user error going on.

I slowed down, took my time, and tied one last joint/rip. Actually it was a couple last times. But I got it. I think I was not being consistent in my feed through the jointer. Both the feed rate and downward pressure.

Frustrating to say the least. A waste of time I don't have. I need to reevaluate my approach I guess. Maybe getting sloppy and trying to work too fast.

In the end, it will be fine for what I am making - a simple tv stand. Not fine furniture.

Here are a few pics. I included a couple of the mitered joint I asked about a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the advice on that too. Bill T. Thanks, it helped.

After glue-up, then some flattening with hand planes, it's looking ok.

Thanks.

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

Pic #4

Pic #5

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081