Subject:
Re: Testing a glue joint.....
Response To:
Testing a glue joint..... ()

TomD
The bridge on a classical guitar is held on with glue and is under a constant 100 poundish load, whether you play it or not. In modern times these are often held on with "white" glue, or the similar "yellow" glue. The preferred brand is Titebond 1, and I use it for all such uses as it has been the industry standard for many years. Hide glue works as well or better, and has made a strong comeback in lutherie in recent years. When I put on my bridges I just rub them in place, which is also how I made joints like the panel joints in the soundboards, or other things.

I have a 30 year old trimaran that I still sail, and it was structured by bending panels under great force that are held together by nothing other than a fillet of epoxy. It has to be a really hard brand like WEST. Sure it is epoxy, but it is just wood where the glue ends.

By the way, because of the potential longevity both in use and design, if one wants to actually test structures, or glues it is very important to be sure the test reflects the failure mode, which in the situations described would be creep. I am always suspicious of test on things like joints where they just destroy the joint in short order with a hammer or clamps. Also, on the flip side, some glue keep gaining creep resistance for months.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081