Subject:
Re:Planer finish`

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana
Barry, apparently you haven't used a planer with a carbide inserted Byrd style head!. I started with a Dewalt lunchbox planer, it did a fairly good job (other than the snipe that seemed unavoidable) if you were very careful about the direction you fed the stock.

My son purchased a 20" stationary planer for my retirement equipped with a Byrd head. The finish is far superior to the portable planer. I don't even worry about which direction I feed the stock. I can't remember ever getting ANY tear-out. I get zero snipe unless I am very careless when feeding long stock (over 6 foot). I can remove stock more than twice as far as the lunchbox with no problem.

I had already replaced my old 6" straight blade Grizzly joiner with an 8" Griz segmented spiral head and had the same type results. After joining / planing I lightly orbital sand with 100 grit and it removes all the light marks left!

With the old equipment I had to do far more sanding.

You can purchase a 15" spiral cutterhead planer for under $2k or a 20" for just under $2500. Both are single phase 220V
By the way if you really want to purchase an old iron 3 phase unit, it is less problem and expense to install a phase convertor than change the motor!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081