Subject:
Minwax Wipe On Poly Update

Alan Young
After reading through all the comments suggestions on my earlier thread (Wipe on Poly) I took the route suggested by David Yoho and our fearless leader-Ellis. The suggested regimen was 2-4 four coats of gloss followed by one coat of final desired sheen. Eliis suggested using Spar Polyurethane. I proceeded with three coats of Gloss Spar Polyurethane and one top coat of Satin Spar Polyurethane. I hand sanded between the gloss coats with 320 sand paper-with the paper wrapped around a sanding sponge. After the last gloss coat and before the satin coat I used the same 320 grit paper but with my Rigid Sheet Sander.

I sanded with this along the grain-wiped the dust off and applied the final coat- as I did the others with a foam brush.

Each gloss coat was thinned before application-approx 15%. The satin coat was thinned 50%. Overall I'm pleased with the results-If I were to do this again I'd thin the gloss coats a bit more-probably needing another coat to build the finish-but it would have made leveling better. And I'd think about semi-gloss rather than satin for final coat...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081