Subject:
Thanks for the starting help, some choices *PIC*

Gary Smyth
I made some phone calls. Around here the fee for architect is 5% to 8 % of the cost of the job. That gets me good specs. On the other hand a general contractor is 1.5 % markup on the job which includes permits, and any sub selection. Experience on their part is the protection/ specs for additional construction later.
Since I have to do this in stages it seems to me that finding a general contractor would be the better option if he or she is willing to work over time this year. Any opinions as to select a GC?
I figure a pad, say 22 x 30 will be the first step. Rebar requirements, angel hair, smoothness will rest with whatever pro I choose, This will be followed closely by electrical for the welder, compressor, and light. There is a 100 Amp subpanel near installed last year. I’ll use 4” PVC stubbed in close to a wall to have easier access after the pad sets. Water lines at this stage might be prudent even if not connected. As suggested here I’ll plan to have the compressor on its own pad adjacent to the new pad in its own 2 x 4 padded enclosure.
I can do some labor, but for the beginning, at least, I do not have an excavator, truck, or bobcat (for base gravel/stone distribution/ compaction) so that has to be farmed out. I will ask about anchoring the slab and exposure to weather and for sure I want “J” bolts installed around the most of the perimeter for pressure treated sill plates for whatever comes next.
Around here, a slab will take 40 days before anything else will happen.
By the way, I’m told that I would need only 5 “storage” trusses to support the roof over the pad and still safely store what I need. Are trusses that strong? Typical framing on 16" or 24" centers is fine by me, so cost is the determining factor -- when I get there.

BASIC idea in my mind so far. No timber frame, basic pillars. Pad and posts to support a roof. "Attic" stairs for access to ceiling storage . Strong ridge beam for hoist and planned ceiling opening.

r maybe this.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081