Subject:
Personal rant...

Alan Young
In the last two years I had some really terrific commissions come my way. Overall I think I've grown through the work I've been asked to build and my clients have been very accommodating to my production schedule. In these past two years as a "part-time" professional I have been juggling two -three pieces in various stages of fabrication plus working on possible new designs. My current big project is this Dutch Pull-out Table-based on the Tage Frid expandable style. Here's a pic from about three weeks ago...

My clients have been very accepting of the length of time it's taken to push this through my shop-and I anticipate that they will be happy with the final result. I am now entering the finish stage of this piece and hate to admit but I am tired. I'm tired of this piece, tired of working on it and tired of it being in my shop. This of course makes me feel very guilty-It has challenged my construction and design techniques. I will still have some final fitting to do- and I've decided that If I ever build another table in this style that I will alter the dimensions as the size of the various elements has pushed the design to it's limits. I guess making tweaks in these elements has prolonged the fabrication process and has ultimately lead to my loss of excitement as this piece reaches it's conclusion. In the mean time I have some new commissions standing in line waiting their turn and I don't want to be frustrated when it's their turn....

Just a rant.

-Alan

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081