Subject:
Re: Plunge Routers.....uses of..... *PIC*

roger lance
Derek and Bill.....good morning to you both.

That is very interesting that in Oz, plunge routers are the norm. Now, I'm coming to this as a guy who bought his routers 25 years ago after attending the Norm Abram school of woodworking. I bought what was at that time some really well made Porter-Cable 690s.....and made use of their interchangeability of motors and bases.....even, my small router table has a modified PC router base attached to it and I just put a motor in when I use that table.

My preferred base is the D-handle base......by far. It gives me excellent control of the router.....two hands.....great balance.....and control of the on-off at my finger without taking my hand off the router.

The PC products.....including the plunge base.....have proven to be adequate for my routing needs and I have not looked to upgrade my collection which includes 2 D-handle routers, 1 standard base router, and the plunge base.

Over here, I think your observation is correct.....we've been marketed the standard base routers.....with the plunge based tools being a secondary choice.

Certainly, router products have moved on from my time.....and, I have to admit I've not kept up with what is the latest and greatest.

If, you get the chance Derek, try a D-handle.....I think you'll like it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081