Subject:
Some recent experience
Response To:
Milling N Y Cherry Logs ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I had a nice looking cherry tree blow down on some property we own. I got a 10' x 18" log and a 11' x 14" log from this tree. In spite of the fact this tree was back in the woods some, when we sawed it we hit nails and bullets. However, it yielded some clear lumber from 2 sides. Discounting the defects from the bullets and nails about half was top grade, very little #1 Common, and nearly half low grade (#2 and #3 common).

This small amount of lumber made a small stack, as stacks go. Cherry has an annoying property. The sap wood shrinks much more than the heart wood. Because the stack was not very high there was little weight holding the lumber flat. Any board with sap on one side warped and twisted severely as it dried. I have a lot of experience rescuing useable lumber from this situation but still I was challenged to get useable pieces from several otherwise clear boards. The all heart wood pieces dried fairly flat but there was enough cup developed in one 16" wide piece that I lost considerable thickness getting it flat for a panel. Again, had I had a taller stack it would have kept the wide pieces from cupping.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081