Subject:
Re: Adhesives and polycarbonate

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana
You are correct! Several years ago when I was an Engineer over several assembly lines, I had an issue with some acrylic clear shields used on pneumatic assembly machines cracking fairly often and having to be replaced. I had researched polycarbonate (Lexan) and decided to fabricate some and install them on the more troublesome machines. They were easier to fabricate as the material bent 90 deg in a brake and drilled / tapped easily.

After a few weeks usage the shields cracked around every screw mounting and anywhere else where they were stressed. I found the cause was that we had a "lube station" about 50 ~ 75 foot away where we dipped lubricated small parts in a screened bucket and allowed to drain by hanging the bucket above the tank. The lubricant was Aeroshell 7, thinned with 1,1,1-trichloroethane.

I found the Lexan was ultra sensitive to any chlorinated solvent
and would literally disintegrate when stressed and exposed to these. Had some egg on my face when I had to have all new acrylic shields made and the Lexan ones replaced!

We also had a major customer that required we ultrasonic stake a Lexan shaft extension to a TV control we produced. (They made the Lexan material). We recommended using Nylon as it was easier to mold and assemble but they insisted. A few months after the units were installed and in the field, they had a major issue and recall due to the extensions failing and the knobs falling off.

It was determined the issue was that the TV's owners were using a household cleaner to clean the sets which contained a chlorinated solvent. The company immediately (and quietly) switched to a nylon part!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081