Subject:
Re: Adhesives and polycarbonate

John K Jordan
>>>When exposed to some solvents it crazes and if under stress it deconstructs spectacularly.

That will make an interesting experiment, thanks! I'll try it on a thicker piece too. It will be interesting to see the effect of the wet vs surface crazing from dried solvant. I'll try it with the polycarbonate Weld-On 16 glue too as well as the acetone. I don't see acetone listed on the tube or the MSDS.

My current use for lexan is in a non-stress situation; I used it because I had it on hand. I made a 3-sided box to fit below my bandsaw table to cover the lower guides, designed to allow air to flow sideways across the guides. I've been using a "temporary" one made from cardboard for years and it has worked well, preventing the bit of sawdust spray from below the table. With the plastic box I can more easily keep an eye on things. I use magnets to hold it in place.

BTW, I love the dust collection in this 18" Rikon. I never have a buildup in the cabinet regardless of what and how much I am cutting. Sometimes there is a teaspoon or two of dust in the corners and sometimes not even that. I use three 4" hoses from a 6" duct.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081